Saturday, January 01, 2005

The mornings are the worst

So, here I am once again, embarking on a truly foolish endeavor. It always seems like a good idea at the time. I'm up late, can't go to sleep. I have to work/have a class in the morning, so I have to get up early somehow. Only six and a half more hours... Then a light bulb flashes in my head! Why continue to toss an turn in an effort to squeeze in a tiny amount of sleep before struggling out of bed in the morning, when the simple solution is to stay up all night! Yep, foolish indeed. I've done this enough times, that I can already imagine what it's going to be like when the sun comes up. I'll basically be floating around deliriously in a haze. The surroundings will seem to be constantly moving. And for some reason, everything around me seems to be hilariously funny. Such is the state of sleep deprivation, but this time it can't be helped. Because I caught a cold.

Yes, I caught a cold. Everyone around me kept getting sick, but somehow I managed to avoid it. Then it seemed like everybody was getting healthy again, it looked like I was going to escape the endemic. When least expected, after having worked six straight days through the holidays, including Christmas, I catch a cold. On my day off no less. One thing I've noticed about colds, perhaps it's just me, is that the mornings are the worst. If you're sick, the time you feel the worst is usually right after you wake up. You are all dehydrated, coughing up phlegm, having trouble breathing, dizzy, lightheaded, etc. If you were forced to decide if you are healthy enough to work or to call in sick, odds are you will feel a whole lot better six hours after you wake up then one hour. Then again, maybe it's just me. I'm not a morning person.

So I figure staying up all night will dramatically increase the chances I'll feel well enough to come in to work in the morning - since I don't have to wake up. If this logic isn't making sense, then maybe the sleep deprivation is already affecting me. However, I'm already commited to it. I've been drinking a fair amount of caffeine in the past few hours, and will continue to do so. Soon, I'm going to have to switch from diet coke to coffee, I think. (I hate coffee) Only six and a half more hours to go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home