Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Mama Mia!

Last night I went to go see Mama Mia! It's basically a musical based on the pop hits of ABBA. I was very impressed at how seamlessly they incorporated the music of ABBA into a good storyline. A couple of the musical numbers seemed a little forced, but overall the story was easily equal to that of other musicals. I highly recommend it.

Keep in mind I'm a little biased here, because I love musicals. When I was growing up, my parents dragged me to dozens of musicals, and it kind of grew on me. I can appreciate the effort involved in creating a musical. Think about it. How hard is it to write a play? How difficult is it to write music? With a musical, it's basically a play and a collection of songs meshed together. All while keeping it cohesive, so you can imagine how truly rare it is to find a good musical. Some may argue that it's not realistic to ever have people just break out in song in any medium. But in my view, 99% of television and movies attempt to simulate 'reality' anyways, so it doesn't hurt to see something more abstract once in a while. Besides, I'm not a big fan of reality.

In any case, if you like the songs of ABBA, or if you're interested in seeing a musical, then I definitely recommend Mama Mia!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home