Sunday, October 16, 2005

Sunday Commentary

Despite the fact that I usually just sit around the house and watch football on my Sundays, I haven't actually written anything relating to it. Perhaps I should. Here goes:

I woke up uncharacteristically early today - 9 o'clock. I didn't sleep very well for some reason. I took advantage of my rare early rising to make the horribly bad decision of making last minute changes to my fantasy football team. Then I tried watching the unspeakably boring and repetative pre-game shows for about ten minutes before jumping in the shower. I got out just in time for the kickoffs. Unfortunately I've been force fed the Dallas game (Again!? Since when is Las Vegas considered part of the Dallas region? I swear I'm so sick of seeing the Cowboys and the Raiders play every week). The other game turns out to be the Steelers vs the Jaguars. Two evenly matched playoff contenders, and a game that's sure to be fairly dull. After watching sloppy play in both games (the Steelers' game surprisingly interesting due to Maddox turning the ball over every 15 seconds), I decide to explore alternate options on the tube. Thankfully ESPN 2 provided some NCAA women's volleyball action! At last I know why women's basketball seems to suck so bad when I try to watch it. All the best female athletes choose volleyball instead. So I watch the valkyries for both Michigan and Penn State go at it for the better part of two hours, checking back on the NFL games for the occasional update. (Unfortunately the Steelers' matchup was kind of painful to watch as it continually reminded me that I decided to sit Randle El. Naturally, he's been having a really good day.) After Penn State defeats Michigan, ESPN 2 whips out a second game of volleyball, Minnesota vs Illinois. Alas, it became readily apparent that the volleyball players on Minnesota weren't nearly as pretty as the ones in the Penn State Michigan matchup (sexist, I know) and that the fighting Illini would surely suck. I got back to football just to see the exciting overtime finishes in both games! You see, I didn't have to watch three quarters of bad football. All I needed to do was to view the finales. Then came a little lunch break...

When I came back I was hoping for the Denver vs New England game. Sadly, I'm forced fed the Raiders. Again. When will some people get it into their heads that the Raiders, though not putridly bad, are most definitely NOT a Super Bowl contender? I'd much rather watch a more relevent matchup. The game between San Diego and Oakland will have one of two possible conclusions: Either the Chargers will somehow squander the vast talent advantage over the Raiders and find another heartbreaking way to lose a game, or the Chargers will take the Raiders into the backroom and beat them into a fine powder residue. (It turned out the be the latter.) Not being able to take another televised Raider game, I explore other options once again. Thank goodness for comedy central is all I'll say. I was able to watch 'Bubble Boy' instead. This cinematic peculiarity stars Jake Gyllenhaal, who desperately tries to convince the audience that he's actually a geeky bubble boy. Also in it is Marley Shelton, an enigmatic actress who somehow manages to never get a starring role in anything despite possessing a nearly goddess-like quality. Why? Maybe she can't act. Maybe nobody thinks she can act, so she never gets a decent role. Maybe she doensn't even care. In between the commercial breaks, I check back on the game to verfify the fact that LaDanian Tomlinson is single-handingly demolishing the Raiders. When the movie ends, I opt for playing videogames over wathing the end of the debacle starring the Raiders.

I watch the football highlights. For some reason the day seemed a little blase when it came to the highlights. I eat dinner. Since I have no life it seems, I watch the entire Sunday night football game lamenting the fact that I have neither Tomlinson nor Shaun Alexander on my fantasy football team. Too bad, I'm tired of having to rely on Domanic Davis, who is an awesome RB on an aweful team, and Kevin Jones, who unfortunately plays for Detroit a.k.a. the black hole that sucks the statistics from otherwise good talent. Well that's about it. Baseball stuff happened today as well, but the game of baseball itself is to slow-paced for me to actually watch it in action. Tomorrow I'll rejoice in that I'll finally be able to see the Colts in action. I'll probably spend tomorrow evening subconsciously evaluating the Colts as potentially being the best team in the league. Later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Freon said...

well, sounds like somebody need the sunday nfl ticket from directv. i was working today at the suncoast so i got to watch all my teams lose. I had an 8 team parlay worth $1000 if i won, which is almost impossible but i tried anyways. I had the cowboys, and the cowboys over which both lost, i had the falcons which didn't cover, the lions which didn't cover, the chiefs, the raiders which didn't cover. overall i sucked ass. and i was doin so good at the beginning. anyways, my fantasy team is doing just fine, 5-1 baby, that's right. anyways, thought i'd chime in with how good my team is. Cooley baby, that's where it's at. :)

3:26 AM  
Blogger Palinchron said...

I should probably get nfl ticket, but I my head might explode from trying to watch every game at the same time. Personally I think you should have gotten some sort of consolation win just for losing every game on your parley, sort of like high-low poker. I do think your fantasy team is pretty strong, especially if Tatum Bell turns out to be a consistent contributor. My team is doing surprisingly well despite scoring pretty low so far. But I won't complain about being lucky because I thought I was hosed with bad luck in the baseball season.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home