Saturday, August 06, 2005

I Still Can't Sleep -or- My Hair Keeps Growing

...and what's worse, now my right knee is starting to hurt because all I can do right now is pace around and think.

I forgot to mention my hair. It's been growing. For awhile now. In fact, it's too long. I'm severely annoyed. Pehaps I should explain more fully.

See, quite a while ago (as in a few years), I went to Supercuts to get a haircut. The barber seemed nice at first. She asked me what number I wanted to cut my hair down to. I tried to explain to her in English what I wanted done, and that I wasn't familiar with their numbering system. When she explained the system to me, I said that I wanted a 3 with 2's for the side and back. She warned me that it would be short, and I said that I liked my hair fairly short. She said, "Why don't we try a 4 first, then you can take a look. We can always cut it shorter." I'm like, fine. After she's done, I take a look. I said I wanted it shorter. After she's done again, I took another look, and told her I wanted it shorter. Finally, the third time was close enough for my acceptance. Then the barber says to me quite rudely, "Okay, so for the next time you visit, you want a 3 1/2 with a 2 1/2 sides and back, so that next time I won't have to cut your hair three times!" What a bitch! I told her what I wanted my hair short the first time! To repay her for her service, I've been boycotting Supercuts ever since...

...At least I think it was Supercuts. Come to think of it, it might have been Procuts. Or some other-cuts. Now I boycott every ???-cuts place. Which sucks, because in the meantime I've been relying on the Air Force base barbers for haircuts, but it can be very inconvenient to get there. Not to mention that many of them can barely speak English. Actually I miss my old barber from when I lived in San Angelo. It's nice to have a 'favorite barber', but I've yet to find one here.

Meanwhile, my hair just keeps on growing. Right now it takes me *gasp* almost ten minutes to get ready because I have to gel my hair to keep it out of my face. Question is, should I stop my personal war against barberism, so that maybe I can find a decent barber for myself? Or should I stand pat with my petty principles spawned from one bitchy barber? Ah yes, questions for the ages indeed...

The whole hair thing annoys me. I like to get as few haircuts as I can stand, so I usually cut my hair a too short, and grow it out too long. But there always that two week window where your hair is just right. I wish there was some switch that I could flip that could stop my hair from growing so that I wouldn't have to deal with the whole issue until the next time I want to change my hairstyle. Which I will admit might be a rare occurence (my hairstyle), because I suspect that I am secretly obsessed with stability. Quite possibly stemming from the fact that I moved a dozen times in my childhood. Okay, that's enough self-pychoanalysis. Bye.

2 Comments:

Blogger Texas Gurl said...

Hmmm, the quest for the perfect hair stylist. It's hard to beat the flo-B type gadgets the bases use. And you're so right about the base employees. They are always the rudest Korean/Japanese people who somehow don't know English despite the fact they are a primarily English speaking nation and married to an American.
Good luck in your search, my friend.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Palinchron said...

I actually empathize with the sometimes rude Korean/Japanese barbers, partly because my Mom is Korean. I kind of know what they had to go through. Imagine being yanked from America and just dropped into some foreign country one day. You could argue that they had a choice in coming here, but the threat of poverty can be a strong motivator. That being said, my Mom speaks excellent English... the best of any foreign-born asian woman I've ever met. So yeah, I do get frustrated sometimes when people can't speak English well. The base barbers are not totally absolved from my criticism. I'm sorry, if you are anywhere in the area code of customer service, you need to be able to communicate!

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home