Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Monkeying Around

I have a sore neck. I was completely wiped out yesterday from lack of sleep. And I barely remember what happened on Sunday night.

I've never been one to be swept away by the seemingly socialogical urge to consume alcohol in large quantaties. For one thing, I'm almost always the one who needs to take other people home. I'm the chaeffor, the designated driver. (The one person in my group of friends who even has a car) So I've never really been in a position to cut loose. But Sunday night I figured, what the hell? I'm at a party, why waste time being sober? But as usual, I still have to drive home at the end of the night because I work the next morning. What to do?

I came up with a plan. I would simply take most of my alcohol up front, and keep track of how many drinks I had. The rule is one drink takes one hour for your liver to get rid of it (for the average person - I'm close enough). So based on the # of drinks I had and the time I started drinking (8 pm) I could figure out by what time I will be sober. So, to signal my intent, I took two shots immediately after I arrived. After three more drinks and another shot, I was like, that's it no more! I mean, I need to work in the morning so I have to be sober enough to drive home. Blasted peer pressure forced (forced!) me to drink two more before I asked someone to make sure I had no more drinks. By 11:30, I had had eight drinks and was feeling reasonably fine thank you. I don't exactly remember the next 3 hours...

It is said that alcohol has different effects on different people. One person may change from a mild manner person to the person who's dancing naked at parties. Some people become depressed or withdrawn. Some people seem unaffected by it. As Freon wrote, imbibing alcohol tends to unleash the monkey within all of us. I think any baggage or repression a person may hold tends to bubble up when under the influence.

Some guy in the party was professing his love for one of the girls. Typical. I apparently couldn't stand up and kept crashing into the walls, the floors, and other people. Also I vaguely remember having a conversation with some other guy, and we had an epiphany. I have no idea what we talked about, but I remember it being an epiphany. I spilled some chocolate syrup all over the floor. And... I think I groped one of the girls - I don't remember who. I blame the monkey.

The next day some of the people said I was a fun drunk. Whatever. I was severly sleep deprived. My plan worked I guess. No passing out, no hangover. I was sober when I left, and I was mad about leaving so late, but first I had to track down my keys from whoever took them...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home