Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Ethical Philosophy Results

I was intrigued, so I took the Ethical Philosophy Selector test:

My Results:
1. Spinoza (100%)
2. Aquinas (89%)
3. Stoics (78%)
4. Jean-Paul Sartre (72%)
5. Kant (70%)
6. John Stuart Mill (55%)
7. Aristotle (55%)
8. Ockham (55%)
9. Nietzsche (51%)
10. Jeremy Bentham (49%)
11. St. Augustine (44%)
12. Epicureans (43%)
13. Plato (41%)
14. Ayn Rand (37%)
15. Prescriptivism (35%)
16. David Hume (28%)
17. Cynics (27%)
18. Thomas Hobbes (26%)
19. Nel Noddings (22%)
Click here for info on the various results

Here's what it says for Spinoza:
  • Determinist
  • Something must have a desirable affect on man in order to be good
  • Must understand determinism of the world
I wasn't satisfied with the descriptions, so I investigated further and found this resource. It seemed interesting, but it's very heavy reading. I've never really studied philosophy, but I suppose Spinoza could be true for me.

Conclusions drawn from the atricle about Spinoza:
  • Naturalist view of God
  • The world is governed by natural laws
  • Values the use of reason over passion
  • Virtue can be achieved through the pursuit of knowledge, and the practice of justice and charity
  • Strong Support for individual freedom and religious tolerance

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home